Why Microchip Your Pet?
Microchipping is a simple and effective way to ensure the safety and well-being of your beloved furry friend. It provides permanent identification, increases the chances of reuniting with a lost pet, and enhances your pet’s overall safety and well-being. At Palm Springs Animal Shelter, we offer affordable and convenient microchipping services for dogs and cats.
Microchip Pricing and Availability
- Residents of Palm Springs: We currently offer free microchipping to Palm Springs residents.
- Non-Residents: If you reside outside of Palm Springs, we offer a discounted rate of $10.00 per pet.
Please note that this pricing is subject to change based on availability.
- Getting Your Microchip: Currently, the microchipping process takes place in our lobby on Tuesday’s and Friday’s from 11am-4pm ONLY on a walk-in basis. Our front desk team will assist you. Appointments are not required, however, there may be a short waiting period, depending on how busy we are.
You can also have your pet microchipped when getting your pet’s vaccines during our public vaccine clinic, held every Thursday from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm. Appointments are required for this clinic.
- Automated Registration: Unlike some facilities, we take care of microchip registration on your behalf. Once the information is entered into our system, the microchip is automatically registered, saving you time and effort.
- Dogs and Cats Available for Adoption: We microchip all dogs and cats before they are made available for adoption, ensuring their future owners peace of mind.
Key Benefits of Microchipping
- Permanent Identification: A microchip, about the size of a grain of rice, is implanted under your pet’s skin, providing a permanent means of identification. It is NOT a GPS tracker and cannot track your animal if they are lost.
- Reuniting Lost Pets: In the unfortunate event that your dog or cat goes missing, a microchip significantly increases the chances of a reunion. Shelters and veterinary clinics routinely scan lost pets for microchips. Contact 24Pet Watch, or whomever your microchip is registered with, to let them know your pet is lost.
- Health and Safety: Microchipping is a quick and relatively painless procedure, done while you wait, without the need for anesthesia. Unlike collars and tags, microchips are not visible, reducing the risk of injury. Please Note: Microchips are NOT GPS trackers.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing your dog or cat has a microchip can provide peace of mind, ensuring they can be identified and returned to you in emergencies or disasters.
Note: While microchips are valuable, they should complement other identification methods like collars with ID tags. Keeping your contact information associated with the microchip up to date is crucial for effective pet identification.
For more information, including frequently asked questions, click the link below: